Pepto Bismol is an over-the-counter medication that treats temporary digestive system upset. Its active ingredient _ bismuth subsalicylate, is believed to limit secretions in your digestive tract, kill some microbes and viruses that may cause diarrhea, reduce irritation and inflammation of intestinal lining and stomach.
Pepto Bismol Discount - Save Up To 75%** Off!The free Pharmacy Pepto Bismol Discount Card can save you up to 75%** off your prescription prices. All you have to do is print the and bring it to the pharmacy to receive the benefits of our drug discount program. This is not insurance and is not valid in combination with any government-sponsored drug plans.
Pepto Bismol Manufacturer Savings Programs
The manufacturer givess and daily offers that help patients save on Pepto Bismol.
View Pepto Bismol Manufacturer Rebates
Pepto Bismol Uses
Pepto Bismol is generally used to treat temporary stomach upset and symptoms that are associated with drinking or eating too much. It may be also used as a preventative measure for travelers" diarrhea. Although Pepto Bismol is over-the-counter medication, it should not be used without doctor"s prescription if you have mucus/blood in the stools or fever. You should also consult your doctor if you want to use Pepto Bismol with other drugs to treat stomach ulcers caused by Helicobacter pylori as bismuth subsalicylate may cause bleeding.
Common conditions and disorders treated by Pepto Bismol are the following:
- Upset stomach
Pepto Bismol Dosage
Pepto Bismol is taken orally when it is needed. The dosage depends on the age, type of treatment, response to treatment, and medical condition of a patient. The dose of Pepto Bismol corresponds to the dose of bismuth subsalicylate.
Usual adult doses for certain conditions are the following:
- Dyspepsia, Diarrhea, Traveler"s Diarrhea, _ 524 mg every 30-60 minutes, not more than 8 doses/24 hours, or 1048-1050 mg every hour, not more than 4 doses/24 hours. Pepto Bismol should be used until diarrhea stops up to 2 days. As diarrhea prevention treatment, it may be used within 3 weeks during the risk periods.
- Helicobacter pylori infection _ 524 mg 4 times /day.
Usual Pediatric Dose depends on the age of a child and the type of treatment.
- Under 3 years: consult your doctor before using
- 3 to 6 years: 87 mg every 30 minutes or 1 hour
- 6 to 9 years: 175 mg every 30 minutes or 1 hour
- 9 to 12 years: 262 mg every 30 minutes or 1 hour
Chronic Infantile Diarrhea:
- 2-24 months: 44 mg every 4 hours
- 24-48 months: 87 mg every 4 hours
- 48-70 months: 175 mg every 4 hours
Helicobacter Pylori Infection (with such drugs as metronidazole and ampicillin):
- Under 10 years: 262 mg 4 times/day (six weeks)
- Over 10 years: 524 mg 4 times/day (six weeks)
Pepto Bismol Side Effects
An active component of Pepto Bismol (bismuth subsalicylate) may cause some side effects. The most common of them are:
- Darkening of the tongue and/or stools
However, these side effects are temporary and will disappear after you stop the treatment.As children are more sensitive to bismuth subsalicylate, Pepto Bismol may also cause constipation (severe). Children should not have treatment with Pepto Bismol while curing from chicken pox and influenza.
Pepto Bismol Interactions
Pepto Bismol may interact with 240 drugs (1272 generic and brand names). You should inform your healthcare provider if you are using nonprescription, herbal, or prescription medications before you start the treatment with Pepto Bismol.
Generally, Pepto Bismol may interact with the following medications:
- Valproic acid
- Anti-platelet drugs
- "Blood thinners" (like enoxaparin, dabigatran, warfarin and others)
- Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors
- NSAIDs (aspirin, naproxen, ibuprofen)
Pepto Bismol has also 2 disease interactions:
- Reye"s Syndrome (Varicella-Zoster, Influenza)
- Coagulation (coagulation defect, vitamin K deficiency, thrombocytopenia, bleeding, thrombocytopathy).